By Nancy Todd and Regina Winkle Bryan
Lanzarote Island, is located about 600 miles off the southern coast of Spain. Although it’s remote, it’s easy to get to thanks to many flights to Lanzarote from the mainland. The island is a weird and wonderful place. Don’t expect squawking parrots and brash monkeys.
Formed by volcanoes, the dramatic reddish brown landscape shrouds the largest submerged volcanic tunnel in the world. Despite it’s starkness, travelers report about the incredible serenity the island offers. With 2,500 hours of sun a year, this could be your next paradise. To add to your island calm, your Scoopettes recommend staying in a villa. Rates vary according to season. All villas listed have private pools.
l. Casa Yuno, located near the village of La Asomada, overlooks a view of the sea, has exposed stone walls, wood beamed ceilings, and rustic furnishings. Sleeps six, fully equipped with terraces and a solar heated swimming pool. A quick 10 minute drive to the sea, guests can enjoy nearby beaches. http://www.vintagetravel.co.uk
2. The Castromar, three terraces, three bedrooms, in a residential area and just a walk to town or the beach. Internet access and of course, a gorgeous pool with privacy wall. www.luxuryvillaslanzarote.com
3. Cortijo Mar with private pool, is part of the 5 start Hotel Hesperia accomodates four people. Located near a marina, guests can take boat trips for fishing and diving. Lots of bustle near by with restaurants and shops or privacy in your own place. Sleeps four. http://www.lanzaroteguidebook.com/
4. Coloradas Playa has sea views from all terraces and what a perfect place to have your first cup of coffee. With three bedrooms, it is next to the Las Coloradas beach. In the area of Playa Blanca, you are near bars, restaurants, and shops. Clean and bright with a pool of course. http://www.lanzarote-villas.com/
5. Villa Sol, only 15 minutes from the airport, this villa has five bedrooms. It is a 15 minute walk to the old town of Puerto del Carmen, it’s old harbor and shops. A relaxing place to watch fishing boats and have a drink. With jacuzzi, outdoor shower, and heated pool. Nearby beach, Playa Grande has won the Blue Flag for cleanliness. http://www.kellyvillas.com/
6. Villas Luis with it’s sea views is contemporary and a beauty. Airy and spacious, this villa has four bedrooms with hot tub and views of the sea. Very attractively furnished. Five minute walking distance to the old harbor in Peurto del Carmen, the villa is located in a quiet area. Three minute drive to the nearest golf course. http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/
Photo credit: Blackman Vision